Why I love the South:
- I love the brick buildings with thick white columns and wrap around porches.
- I love squeaky old rocking chairs and wide steps with wrought iron railings.
- I love the bell tower on campus and the deliberate happy song it chimes when I’m least expecting it.
- I love that slow southern speak that rolls off the tongues of locals like the lazy lapping water at Alligator Point.
- I love getting lost in Maclay Gardens under a canopy of sleepy oaks and spanish moss.
- I love that when it rains it pours and when it’s hot it’s the kind of heat where my lungs would rather raise a white flag than take another breath.
- I love the way BBQ smoke rolls around on the afternoon breeze.
- I love when the thunderheads stroll in and it gets so dark outside I forget it’s only 4 PM.
- I love the dogwood trees that line Blairstone Road in all of their white-blossomed glory.
- I love the way swamp water dances around the bald cypress knees.
I could never live anywhere else. Except maybe Bavaria. Because the two are so similar…